2 Blackstrap Road, Falmouth, Maine
Go Green Dentistry
REDUCES WASTE AND POLLUTION • SAVES WATER, ENERGY AND MONEY
Dr. Kenneth and his staff do their part to reduce their impact on the environment.
Here are some methods we implement to reduce, re-use and recycle:
- Re-Use Lab and Shipping Boxes:
Saving boxes and re-using them is cost-effective and reduces the need for additional paper products.
- Ordering in Bulk and Combining Orders:
We prefer to order our often-used items in bulk from local businesses and combine orders to cut down on shipping products needed to fulfill our orders.
- Digital X-rays:
Utilizing digital x-rays significantly reduces a patient’s exposure to radiation 60% compared to conventional films. Also, there are no hazardous processing chemicals OR lead-lined plastic packaging to dispose of.
- Weekly Recycling:
We recycle virtually all of our paper and plastic products that have no patient contact.
- Re-usable vs. Disposable Kitchen Supplies:
We use washable dishes, coffee mugs and utensils in the staff kitchen
- Chartless Software:
Utilize the dental software to send appointment reminders via e-mail. Reduces paper waste – approximately 12,000 pieces of paper/year is saved by using the chartless software.
- Installed programmable thermostats
- Installed motion sensors and turn off power at night
- Use a dry evacuation (waterless) vacuum system to reduce the amount of water waste. With using this type of system, we save approximately 360 gallons of water a day.
- Turn our Water and Compressor Vacuum system off at lunch and end of the day
- Incorporated waterless hand sanitizers; in addition to soap
- Installation of Amalgam Separator:
The amalgam separator is used to keep mercury-containing filling materials from entering our water supply. The EPA estimates that 50% of all mercury entering the local waste water treatment facilities comes from dental offices.
- Instrument Steam Sterilization:
To effectively sterilize our instruments, we use a steam sterilization system that makes it so we do not need toxic chemicals or toxic cold sterilization methods.